As we get closer to the start of a new calendar year and attempt to take a break over the Christmas period it is a great time to stop and contemplate what the year ahead will look like. It is also a great time to reflect and determine whether you are getting what you want from your business. In particular are you spending too much time in your business and not enough time on your business?
In our strategic sessions we generally ask business owners what role they have in the business. To assist we explain that this can be broken down as follows:
- DOERS – these are the people actually performing the tasks in a business that generates income. In a service based industry this may be performing the actual service and getting paid for a result. An example may be in the electrical industry. The DOER will be on-site performing the technical work.
- MANAGER – these people do no or little DOER style work but manage the DOERS, customer expectation, workflow and all the other aspects of the business to enable it to run efficiently.
- NON CRITICAL OWNER – these people own the business but have managers in place to run it for them. They are not critical to the running of the business and their role is limited to ensuring that the manager is running their business effectively and profitability.
Something to look at over the break is what role you have in your business. Are you a DOER? and if you own the business then you are most likely a MANGER as well and not a NON CRITICAL OWNER in any way.
We find that owners that are DOERS and MANAGERS or just MANAGERS don’t spend enough time on their business. They are too busy keeping the work flow moving to reflect.
Our strategic sessions always start with a simple NOW – WHERE – HOW:
- Where are you NOW in your business?
- WHERE to do you want to be in five years time?
- HOW will you get there?
Generally the HOW uncovers the fact that owners are spending too much time working IN the business (DOERS / MANAGERS) and not enough time ON the business. Well thought out role descriptions and having the right people in the rights jobs is critical and may just allow you the time to get more strategic and spend more time ON the business.
If you would like to book in an initial strategic planning session please give me a call on (07) 3188 0232 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org